Caldo de Res (Beef Soup) by Computopia Flickr
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 Kg Beef Shank with bones, meat cut off the bones into stew-size pieces
- Salt to Taste
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
- 1 Onion coarsely chopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Large Tomato, chopped, or 1- 14.5 oz Can diced tomatos
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- 3 Cups Beef stock
- 4 Cup Water
- 3 Potatoes, coarsely chopped
- 3 Carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 Cup Green Beans, halved
- 2 Chayote, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 Ears Corn, shucked and cut into thirds, or about 1 cup canned
- 1 Cup Cilantro, Chopped
- 2 Zucchinis, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 Head Cabbage, Chopped
- 3 Limes, quartered
- 4 Radishes, quartered
- 1-2 , , or Serrano Chile Peppers, minced, optional
Set a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add the oil, meat, bones, and salt and pepper to taste.
When the meat is browned, add the onion, garlic, tomato, and cumin and cook about 5 minutes until tender.
Add thestock and enough water to cover the meat and bones by about 2 inches. Reduce heat to low, Cover, and simmer about 1 hour, or until meat is tender.
Add any remaining water, the, carrots, green , chayote, , and about 1/4 cup cilantro. Simmer until are tender.
Add the zucchini and cabbage and simmer another 10 minutes or until tender.
Servehot, garnishing with freshly squeezed lime juice, radishes, and peppers to taste.
Posted by Lindsay