Sometimes we need a little inspiration to liven up leftovers. My dad came up with thisfor that very reason. Whether starting with leftovers or from scratch, we’re sure you’ll enjoy this dish. This is also an egg-free version of rellenos.
- 1 Boneless Chicken Breast (you can also substitute or , or you might opt to omit the meat completely for a vegetarian dish)
- 4 to 6 Anaheim or Poblano Chiles, depending on the size of your casserole dish
- 1/2 Red Onion
- 1 & 1/2 to 2 Cups Steamed or Red Rice
- 2 to 3 Cups Blend of Shredded Cheeses (like Manchego, Cheddar, and Monterey Jack)
- Mild Red Salsa or Enchilada Sauce, canned or homemade
- Green Onions, diced
- Roma Tomato, finely chopped
- Avocado, pitted, peeled and chopped
- Sour Cream
Cut the onion into thick slices, grill, and chop.
Season thebreast to taste and grill it along with the . Blacken all sides of the .
When done, remove theand and allow to cool. (Note: The isn’t included in the , but it does seem to help the chef proceed with the steps that follow!)
Peel, cut lengthwise, and seed the.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Spray the inside of a 13-inch by 9-inch casserole dish with oil or another nonstick agent, if desired. Add a thin layer of the red sauce.
Lay thein two rows.
Spread a spoonful of sauce in each chile.
Add a layer of shredded cheese.
Then add a thin layer of rice.
Next add the chopped onion.
Pour another bit of sauce on top.
Divide the shreddedevenly among the peppers.
Spoon some more sauce over the meat.
Finally, completely cover the stuffed peppers with more shredded cheese. (Note: If using Anaheim, as another option, you might decide to double the number of peppers. Use half of them on the bottom of the dish, stuff them as indicated, and at this point, cover them with the remaining peppers, just before topping them with the cheese.)
Bake therellenos for 20 minutes or until cheese has melted completely. Remove and let stand about 5 minutes.
Serve with the garnishes as desired.
Each chile relleno equals one serving, and hopefully everyone’s plate will look like this at the end!
Courtesy of Dick French
Posted by Lindsay