- 500 grams Ground Beef
- 500 grams Ground Pork
- 1 Medium White Onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 – 4 Roma Tomatoes
- 1 – 2 Serrano Chile Peppers, optional
- 3 Garlic Cloves, peeled
- 1 Beef Bouillon Cube
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin, or to taste
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Oregano, or to taste
- 1 Large White Potato, cubed*
- 3 Carrots, peeled and chopped*
- 1 Cup Peas*
- 50 grams Raisins
- 50 grams Slivered Almonds, lightly toasted
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
Place the onion, tomatoes,, and garlic in a blender and purée until smooth.
In a medium sized pot set over medium heat, brown the groundand in the oil. Drain excess juices, then add the tomato purée, bouillon cube, bay leaves, cumin, oregano, potato, carrots, and peas. (*Note: If you are using frozen , carrots, and/or peas, do not add them at this point. Wait until you add the raisins and almonds.)
Stir to combine, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until theare tender, about 20 minutes.
Add the raisins and almonds as well as salt and pepper to taste. (*Note: If you are using frozen, add them at this point.)
Stir to combine, cover and simmer another 10 minutes or so.
Serve with steamed rice or bolillos (Mexican rolls).
Posted by Lindsay