- 1 – 1 1/2 pounds Arrachera (Skirt Steak)
- Freshly Squeezed Juice from 3-4 Limes
- 1 – 2 Tablespoons Achiote Adobo Paste
- Ground Cumin, to taste (if the achiote paste doesn’t include cumin)
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- 1 Bottle of Beer (like Negra Modelo)
- 1 Medium White Onion, cut into wedges
- 2 Bunches Green Onions, coarsely chopped, with the white and green parts separated
- 2 Green Bell Peppers, julienned
- 3 – 4 Medium Potatoes, julienned
- 3 – 4 Roma Tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 10 Mushrooms, sliced
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Cup Manchego or Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- Corn or Flour Tortillas
Rinse and pat dry the steak.
Mix the lime juice and achiote paste until well combined. I prefer to use my hand to dissolve the smaller pieces of the paste completely.
Rub the steak thoroughly with the lime-achiote mixture, and then season to taste with cumin and black pepper.
To prevent the seasoning from washing off, you may want to roll the steak up before placing it in a shallow glass dish.
Pour theslowly over the meat. The should mostly cover the steak.
Cover and refrigerate 3 to 4 hours or overnight.
When ready to cook the discada, prepare theand remove the steak from the fridge.
In a disco de arado, paella pan, or wok, heat the oil until hot. Add the onion wedges and the white part of the green onions. Sauté for a few minutes and then add the green pepper.
Cook the onion and green pepper until tender, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
Add more oil to the pan, if needed, and the. Cover and cook until tender, stirring occasionally so the will cook thoroughly.
While theare cooking, remove the steak from the , unroll, and cut into smaller pieces. Reserve the .
When theare tender, season with salt as desired and transfer to a bowl.
If necessary, add more oil to the pan and then the steak pieces.
Brown the steak on all sides and drain off excess juices.
Add the tomatoes.
Pour theover the meat. Stir and simmer about 8 to 10 minutes.
Once thehas almost cooked off, add the and the green part of the green onions.
Cook about 2 minutes, stirring to combine.
Add the cooked onion, green pepper, and, combining well.
Season with salt as desired and sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top of the steak-mixture.
Once the cheese melts, remove from heat.
Serve with warmor flour tortillas to make tacos. For a complete meal, serve with rice and , and spice it up with our verde, avocado , or pico de gallo.