- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Cups Celery, chopped
- 1-2 Jalapeños or , minced, or to taste
- 7-8 Cups Chicken Stock
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin
- 4 Bone-in or Boneless Chicken Breasts
- 3 Medium Tomatoes, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 Cup Freshly Squeezed Lime Juice, or to taste
- Salt to Taste
- 5-6 Corn (or flour) Tortilla Chips
- 2 Avocados, pitted, peeled, and diced
- 1 Cup Cilantro, Chopped
- Panela, Oaxaca, or Mozzarella cheese, diced or shredded, optional
- Lime wedges, optional
In a heavy-bottomed pot set over medium heat sauté garlic and onion in about 2 tablespoons of olive oil until tender. Add celery andand cook another 5 minutes. Add stock, cumin, and breasts. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer 20-25 minutes.
Remove, cool, and shred. Return the shredded to the along with the tomatoes and the lime juice and salt to taste. Continue to simmer on low.
If using tortillas, cut them into little strips. heat about 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a small skillet set over medium heat. Fry the tortillas strips until browned and crispy. Drain them on a plate lined with a couple layers of paper towel.
Ladleinto bowls and top off with some avocado, cilantro, cheese and fried tortilla strips (or tortilla chips). Serve with additional lime wedges to add more to taste individually as esired.
Posted by Lindsay