- 500 Grams Pinto Beans, debris removed and rinsed
- 1 Whole Chicken, cut into separate pieces (keep the feet – they add nice flavor to the )
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 7 Cups Chicken Stock (you can substitute bouillon powder in hot water)
- 1 Large Onion, chopped
- 6 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 3 Celery Stalks, chopped
- 1 Chile Pepper, stem removed, seeded and minced
- 2 Serrano Chile Peppers, stems removed and minced
- 2 Poblano Chile Peppers
- 2 Dried Bay Leaves
- 1/2 Tablespoon Ground Cumin
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1/2 Teaspoon White Pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- Freshly Squeezed Lime Juice
- Shredded Manchego or Mozzarella Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- Warm Corn Tortillas
If desired, soak the pintoovernight and drain.
In a pot set over medium-high heat, add the oil and butter. When hot, add thepieces and brown them on all sides. (Don’t be surprised by the yellow color of this meat. Most -raised has a yellow hue due to the feed.)
Transfer theto a slow-cooker (Crock Pot) and add the stock and pinto .
In the same pot used to brown the, sauté the onion until tender.
Pour the onion and browned butter into the slow-cooker. Add the celery,, and .
To roast the poblano, set them over a stove burner or under the broiler.
When the skins are blackened on one side, flip and roast them until the skin is blackened on all sides.
Set poblanoaside and allow to cool. Then cut the lengthwise and remove the stems, seeds, and blackened skin.
Chop theand add them to the slow cooker, along with the bay leaves, cumin, cloves, and white pepper.
Cover and cook on high for about 2 and 1/2 hours.
Remove thepieces and allow to cool. Discard the feet. Continue cooking the on high in the covered slow-cooker.
Remove thefrom the bones and break the meat up into smaller pieces.
Add theback to the slow-cooker.
Continue cooking on high, covered. If you didn’t pre-soak the, it will probably take another hour to an hour and a half for the to soften.
When ready to serve, garnish with cilantro, lime juice, cheese, sour cream, and avocado, as desired. Serve with warmtortillas.
Posted by Lindsay