- 2 Cups Garbanzo Beans (Chickpeas)
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil or Lard
- 4 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Onion, Finely chopped
- 7-8 Cups Chicken Stock
- 1/2 Chicken divided into parts or 1 whole bone-in breast (tailbone and feet add nice flavor)
- 2 Corn Cobs, Shucked and cut into medium-sized pieces (or 2 cups canned if preferred)
- 2 Potatoes, cubed
- 3-4 Carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 Sprig Epazote
- 2 Cups Green Beans, halved
- 2 Medium Zucchinis, sliced and halved
- 2-4 Chipotle Chiles in Adobo (depending on how you like it), finely diced
- 1 & 1/2 Cups Tomato Puree
- Salt to Taste
- Pepper to Taste
- 1/2-1 Cup Cilantro
- 1 Avocado, pitted, peeled and diced
- 3 Lime, halved
- 1/2-1 Cup Panela Cheese, cubed, optional
Soak garbanzoin 4-5 cups of water in the refrigerator overnight.
In a heavy-bottomed pot set over medium heat, saute garlic and onion in the olive oil or lard until tender. Addand brown about 5 minutes. Add the stock and garbanzo . Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer about 20 minutes.
Removeand set aside to cool. Add the cob pieces (if using canned instead, wait to add it), , carrots, and epazote to the and simmer 10 minutes.
Add greento and continue to simmer another 10 minutes. Meanwhile, remove from the bones.
Add zucchini,(including the adobo sauce), tomato puree, shredded , and salt and pepper to taste. (Add canned at this point if not using cobs.) Simmer another 10 minutes or so, making sure the are tender.
Servehot with cilantro, avocado, limes, and cheese on the side to garnish to taste.
Thisis easy to make vegetarian by eliminating the and substituting broth for the stock – healthy and delicious!
Posted by Lindsay